- hand-loom weavers and their family members may die from tuberculosis in Uttar Pradesh due to poor living conditions
- “Tuberculosis and malnutrition is common,”
- The skilled hands of weavers are being engaged in other jobs such as driving rickshaw, selling vegetables, laying roads and even begging.
- Thousands of weavers have committed suicide and yet, do not figure in public consciousness or government agendas, or merit media coverage.
- There are over two lakh weavers in and around Varanasi. But less than 55,000 get a job in a year leaving the remaining 1.5 lakh weavers jobless.
- 50 percent of children in weaver families are malnutritioned, concluded pilot survey conducted NGOs in some of the weaver communities. “In blatant violation of Supreme Court orders, a number of children can be seen to survive on a mere bowl or two of plain rice and some bread. Some times they get nothing at all.
Access to Credit IssuesPresently, large majority of the weavers do not have the bank accounts and accessing credit from formal institutions remains a distant dream. Barely ten per cent of weavers, mainly those associated with hand-loom Cooperatives, receive bank credit and other monetary support from government those outside the cooperative umbrella, get nothing. The Planning Commission acknowledges that 80 per cent of hand-loom weavers depend on private money lenders who charge exorbitant interest rates. Due to the lack of credit from banking institutions, weavers are forced into exploitative relationships with money-lenders, who give them credit on exorbitant terms and traders, who advance production credit, and use the leverage gained to suppress wages.Open Letter from Shri Muralidhar Rao ON EVE OF HIS 3 DAY FAST IN HYDERABAD IN SUPPORT OF THE DEPRIVED WEAVER SOCIETY-to fellow Indians for support to this deprived segment of Indian Society (Excerpts)
MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA
- Task force to supervise schemes for weavers (thehindu.com)
- Rs. 6,234-crore package announced for weavers (thehindu.com)
- Students lend a helping hand to weavers (thehindu.com)
- Special Handloom Expo gets under way (thehindu.com)
- State government urged to rescue weavers (thehindu.com)
- What was a Weavers job in the Middle Ages (wiki.answers.com)
- Co-optex of Handloom Weavers’ of Tamilnadu (chennaifocus.wordpress.com)
- Bolivia’s Master Weavers Speak Without Words (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- Where did the weavers live in the the middle ages (wiki.answers.com)
- India Ink: The Other India: The Weavers of Varanasi (india.blogs.nytimes.com)
- $33 billion export target set for textiles sector (thehindu.com)
- What did weavers do in the middle ages (wiki.answers.com)
Filed under: Social Issues Tagged: | Acting Trainer, Andhra Pradesh, Bharatiya Janata Party, BJP, Congress, Diction Trainer, Handloom Weavers, Hindi Teacher, India, Kamal Nayan Chaturvedi, Loom, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Murali Dhar Rao, Planning Commission, Silk Weavers, United Progressive Alliance, UPA, Uttar Pradesh, Varanasi, Vidur, Vidur Chaturvedi, Vidur on Twitter, Vidur's Blog, Weaving