MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA DECEMBER 23 , 2011 01.30 A.M.
Christopher Hitchens , writer , columnist , journalist , public speaker , world-famous atheist and iconoclast died on December 15, 2011 at the age of 62 in Houston , Texas , USA .
I am a theist . I am a believer . I do believe in God . I do believe in my culture , my traditions , rituals of my religion and have unflinching faith in above mentioned things .
But still I admire and have utmost regards for every iconoclast , every atheist and every non – believer .
During my childhood days , I read a lot about Charvaka , an atheist of yore , who was a non – believer . Standing on the staircase of the temples , he used to criticize God and exhort and urged the people not to believe in God , while believers were going for Darshanam . No one hurt him . No one ever criticized him . He was not banished from the city by the king of the day . He was not persecuted for his iconoclastic views . Instead he was called Maharshi Charvaka by people and was revered . He was called an atheist philosopher and was given place in the pantheon of Indian Godhead . His works were not banned by the government of the day . People in India , who know Sanskrit , still remember his famous Shloka , which preached his atheistic and hedonistic views :
यावत् जीवेत् सुखम् जीवेत् ; ऋणं कृत्वा घृतम पिवेत ;
भस्मी भूतस्य देहस्य ; पुनरागमनं कुतः ॥
[ As long as you are alive , live with opulence and pleasure . Even if you have to take loan , lead a life of fulfillment and luxury . after death , when your ephemeral body will be burnt , you wont return in this world . So the question of re – payment doesn’t arise . ]
Maharshi Charvaka fascinated me . So whenever I read about a new atheist , a new iconoclast , I am driven towards him , even though I would never follow him .
So when I heard about Christopher Hitchens , I was intrigued . Most famous for bashing Mother Teresa as a fraud , he was very critical of Henry Kissinger , Bill and Hillary Clinton and Royal Family of Great Britain . Christopher Hitchens was admirer of George Orwell , Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson .
Though my behaviour would seem to be incoherent but I firmly believe in the saying of Voltaire :
” I disapprove of what you say ; but I will defend to the death your right to say it . “
I follow theism but I will always admire atheists , because you need guts to not believe in God and swim against the tide . Only Christopher Hitchens could have written ” God Is Not Great ” . You need courage to write this kind of book . Only he would have said this for Mother Teresa : ” She was not a friend of the poor .She was a friend of poverty .She said that suffering was a gift from God .She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty , which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction .”
It needs guts to support Salman Rushdie and oppose Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini . It needs courage to oppose Vietnam War but support Iraq War . It needs gumption to oppose Bill Clinton but support George W. Bush . He was a true iconoclast who regularly contributed in Vanity Fair magazine .
I deeply mourn his death and pray for his soul , though he would not have liked it .
May his soul rest in peace !
I know your views Mr. Christopher Hitchens . You have every right to adhere to your views but so am I .
So , rest in peace gentleman ! And don’t get angry for my prayers .
MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA
- CFI Mourns the Death of Christopher Hitchens (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Goodbye Christopher Hitchens …. Welcome to Hell. (mackquigley.wordpress.com)
- Guest post: Two HuffPo pieces claim Hitchens for religion (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Humanists Mourn Christopher Hitchens: Stalwart for Atheism (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Christopher Hitchens (xercised.wordpress.com)
- Goodbye Christopher Hitchens (humanistlife.org.uk)
- A Tribute to Christopher Hitchens (skepticalteacher.wordpress.com)
- The death of Christians’ favorite atheist (geneveith.com)
- Christopher Hitchens Dead: Legendary Writer Dies At Age 62 (huffingtonpost.com)
- Christopher Hitchens (1949 – 2011 ) (sandwalk.blogspot.com)
- A Christian on Hitchens’ Atheism and Lowe’s Muslim Problem (time.com)
- Having Faith: What Both Hitchens and Fundamentalists Don’t Get About Religion (time.com)
- John Owen on Christopher Hitchens (and me) (brianrecker.wordpress.com)
- Christopher Hitchens: A Believer’s Tribute to an Atheist (blogher.com)
- Christopher Hitchens is Dead (breakingspells.net)
- A Farewell to Christopher Hitchens (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Christopher Hitchens, 1949-2011 (dagod.org)
- Hitchens and the Christian Reactions to His Death (atheistrev.com)
- RIP Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011) (bookclubbabe.wordpress.com)
Filed under: Obituary | Tagged: Acting Trainer, Atheism, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, Bill Clinton, Charvaka, Christopher Hitchens, Diction Trainer, George Orwell, George W. Bush, God Is Not Great, Henry Kissinger, Hillary Clinton, Hindi Teacher, Houston, India, Iraq War, Kamal Nayan Chaturvedi, Maharshi Charvaka, Mother Teresa, Royal Family of Britain, Salman Rushdie, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Vanity Fair Magazine, Vidur, Vidur Chaturvedi, Vidur on Twitter, Vidur's Blog, Vietnam War, Voltaire |