MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA JANUARY 04 , 2012 00.15 A.M.
Just read a very interesting news item in today’s ” Mumbai Mirror ” and was tempted to write a blog .
Sliced bread completes 100 years in 2012 . It has become a part of our lives and no one thinks that it was non – existent before 100 years . But the fact of the matter is that sliced bread first surfaced in 1912 . Now it has become an inseparable part of our lives .
American jeweller Otto Rohwedder is credited to invent the machine to cut the loaf into pieces . He invented the machine in 1912 . But unfortunately this primitive machine was destroyed in a fire .
Within 5 years of this invention unsliced breads started fading .
I remember my childhood days in Deoria , Uttar Pradesh . I used to visit a Sindhi bakery shop to buy loaf , unsliced bread . The Sindhi baker used to cut that loaf into pieces as per our demand . Later on in the 60s sliced bread made its entry in Deoria and since then it has become almost a part of my life .
Difficult to imagine a life without sliced bread . And now I know the full meaning of the proverb ; ” the best thing since sliced bread “ or ” the greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped “.
Thrilled and happy that 2012 is its centenary year .
MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA
- Sliced bread celebrates 100th birthday in 2012 (mirror.co.uk)
- The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread is … Sliced Bread (prweb.com)
- D’Angelo Grilled Sandwiches Introduces Café Sandwiches Featuring New Hearty Sliced Breads (prweb.com)
- The Elvis Presley Peanut Butter, Banana, and Bacon Sandwich (thedailymeal.com)
- just a slice (southernfinds.wordpress.com)
- Wonder Bread (greatamericanthings.net)
- The Greatest Thing (jimmyshack.wordpress.com)
- Easy and Cheesy Ham Panini (dishdashdime.wordpress.com)
- Avocado BLT Sandwich (thedailymeal.com)
- Creamy Chèvre, Pistachio and Fig Breakfast Sandwich (anuneducatedpalate.com)
Filed under: Haute Cuisine Tagged: | Acting Trainer, Bread, Bread Slicer, Deoria, Diction Trainer, Food Diary, Hindi Teacher, Kamal Nayan Chaturvedi, Loaf, Missouri, Missouri U. S. A., Otto Rohwedder, Sliced bread, Uttar Pradesh, Vidur, Vidur Chaturvedi, Vidur on Twitter, Vidur's Blog