MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA JUNE 15 , 2012 07.35 P.M.
Mehdi Hassan Saheb is being buried today . An era ended on June 13 , 2012 , when he died . And today on June 15 , 2012 as he is being buried , ghazal is being silenced . When I heard about the sad demise of Mehdi Hassan Sahab , I was deeply saddened . Jagjit Singh Ji left us last year in October 2011 and now Mehdi Hassan is also gone . World of ghazal will never be same again .
Along with Begam Akhtar of India , Mehdi Hassan changed the scenario of ghazal singing in this continent . They were purists . Their singing was based on classical ragas , yet their popularity among masses was immense . It was unparalleled , unflinching and unquestioned .
Born in Rajasthan , India on July 18 , 1927 in a family of traditional musicians , Mehdi Hassan migrated to Pakistan after partition . In 1957 he got an opportunity to sing on Radio Pakistan . Later on slowly he started singing ghazals and became enormously popular , first in Pakistan and later on in India . Subsequently his popularity rose in all the countries of this sub – continent .
Due to his illness , he stopped singing from 1980 . Later on he completely stopped singing because of his worsening condition . After suffering for 12 years , Mehdi Hassan Sahab died on June 13 , 2012 in Karachi , Pakistan .
I have a LP record of Mehdi Hassan Sahab at my home in Deoria . ” Gulon me rang bhare vade nau bahar chale “ is my favourite . ” Patta patta boota boota hal hamara jane hai “ is another gem . ” Dekh to dil ki jaan se uthata hai “ can make you cry . ” Ranjish hi sahi dil hi dukhane ke liye aa , aa phir se mujhe chhod ke jane ke liye aa “ is unforgettable . ” Navak andaz jidhar deeda – e – jana honge ” and ” Phool hi phool khil utthe “ are another tender numbers in that LP record .
Apart from many Urdu ghazals , he sang many Persian ghazals also .
He is being laid to rest today . After Begam Akhtar and Jagjit Singh , now another titan is gone . As I said in the beginning world of ghazal will never be same again .
MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA
- Mehdi Hassan was outstanding: Lata Mangeshkar (ibnlive.in.com)
- A bridge over the troubled divide (thehindu.com)
- Mehdi Hassan will be laid to rest on Friday (nation.com.pk)
- Pakistan’s singing pride Mehdi Hassan passes away (nation.com.pk)
- End of an era as Mehdi Hassan passes away (dawn.com)
- ‘King of Ghazal’ Mehdi Hassan Passes Away: Bollywood, Twitter World Mourns the Loss (ibtimes.com)
- Who was Mehdi Hassan (ndtv.com)
- Ghazal king Mehdi Hassan passes away (thehindu.com)
- Pakistan’s legendary singer Mehdi Hassan dies (miamiherald.com)
- Who killed Mehdi Hassan? (dawn.com)
- ‘Voice of god’ to be heard no more: Ghazal legend Mehdi Hassan passes away (dailymail.co.uk)
- ‘Mehdi Hassan’s voice conquered love itself’ (thehindu.com)
- Mehdi Hassan- A voice that knew no border (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Mehdi Hassan will remain alive in people’s hearts, says Ghulam Ali (thehindu.com)
- End of an era as ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan dies (3quarksdaily.com)
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan dies at 84 (ibnlive.in.com)
- Mehdi Hassan passes away.. (satyamshot.wordpress.com)
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is no more (dawn.com)
Filed under: Obituary | Tagged: Acting Trainer, Begam Akhtar, Dari Ghazal, Dekh to dil ki jaan se uthata hai, Deoria, Diction Trainer, Film, Ghazal, Gulon me rang bhare bade nau bahar chale, Hindi Teacher, India, Jagjit Singh, Kamal Nayan Chaturvedi, Karachi, Lata Mangeshkar, Mehdi Hassan, Mumbai, MUMBAI - MAHARASHTRA - INDIA, Navak andaz jidhar deeda e jana honge, Pakistan, Patta patta boota boota hal hamara jane hai, Persian Ghazal, Phool hi phool khil utthe, Rajasthan, Ranjish Hi Sahi, Vidur, Vidur Chaturvedi, Vidur on Twitter, Vidur's Blog |