MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA JULY 03 , 2012 01.15 A.M.
Varanasi or Benaras or Kasi or Kashi , this old and perennial city of India , which symbolises Hindu ethos and its timeless tradition , is a new metropolis , yet it existed and started its journey several millennium ago . As per tradition and folklore it is 5000 years old city . Its mythical and cultural name is Kashi . Rigveda mentions this city as Kasi or Kashi . During British era the name was changed and the city came to be known as Benaras . After independence the city was rechristened as Varanasi . Varuna and Assi are two rivers , which caress the city from two sides , hence the city was rechristened as Varanasi .
Varanasi predates history . It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities of the world and the oldest city in India . As per Hindu mythology this city rests on the trident of Bhagwan Shiva . This city is closely associated with the legendary Raja Harishchandra , an ancestor of Bhagwan Ram . Harishchandra ghat still exists and bears his name and reminds us of his supreme sacrifices in pursuit of truth . Along with AYODHYA , MATHURA , MAYA [ HARIDWAR ] , KANCHI , AVANTIKA [ UJJAIN ] and DWARKA , Varanasi , for the Hindus , is the 7th Holiest Cities of India . I consider myself lucky and fortunate that I have chance to visit all the above mentioned seven cities .
I have been to Varanasi several times . I first visited this city with my parents and other siblings , while I was a toddler . It was for the MUNDAN [ Tonsure Ceremony ] of my younger brother . I still remember my first journey to Varanasi by train . I was a kid and I used to converse with my parents only in Bhojpuri . My father insisted that while in Varanasi , we all must converse in Hindi . I was finding it difficult and avoided speaking throughout the journey .
I have visited this city numerous times since then . Every year when I visit my native place Deoria , I have to make a halt either at Varanasi or Lucknow . This year in June , I took a morning flight from Mumbai on June 16 , 2012 and along with my wife , landed there in the afternoon . Varanasi now has a swanky and sprawling airport . Old airport was not worthy of the reputation of this ancient city . This new Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport is truly impressive .
I took a cab and drove to Hotel Gautam Grand near Varanasi Cant station .
When in Varanasi , you have to enjoy the crowded lanes and by-lanes of this mythical yet modern metropolis . Godaulia is the nerve – centre of the city .
The world-famous Kashi Vishwanath Temple is one of the 12 JYOTIRLINGAS of Bhagwan Shiva in India . You dare not afford to miss this shrine . The old temple , built by Adi Shankaracharya in 8th century , was destroyed by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb , who built a mosque on the ruins of this temple , which , today , is known as Gyanvapi mosque . The present Kashi Vishwanath temple was built by Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore in 1717 . This temple was adorned by Maharaja Ranjit Singh , who donated 820 k.g. gold in 1889 .
After darshan of Kashi Vishwanath temple , you proceed to Dashashwamedha Ghat , where Ganga Aarti is performed in the evening . Dashashwamedha Ghat was built by Maharaja Savai Jai Singh II in 1693 . It is one of the 100 ghats of Varanasi . Originally Ganga Aarti was started in Haridwar by Mahamana Madan Mohan Malaviya . Few years back it was started in Varanasi also and today it is major tourist attraction .
Apart from Dashashwamedha ghat , Kedar ghat and Harishchandra ghat are other two major ghats of Varanasi .
Sankat Mochan temple is the another famous temple of Varanasi . According to the folklore , Sant Tulsidas worshipped here and Bhagwan Hanuman gave him darshan . After Kashi Vishwanath temple , it is the 2nd most revered temple of Varanasi for Hindus .
Varanasi is famous for Sants like Tulsi Das , Kabir Das , Ravi Das , Tailang Swami and Keena Ram . Tailang Swami and his disciple Keena Ram Baba followed AGHOR PANTH . Keena Ram Baba is most famous exponent of AGHOR PANTH . I visited his Ashram also . This was my first visit . I visited it twice . First visit was in the afternoon of June 16th and the second one was next day , on June 17 , 2012 .
I left Varanasi on June 17 , 2012 in the morning . While proceeding towards Sarnath and Aundihar , I started remembering several luminaries of Indian history , who were born in Varanasi and spent their lives in this city .
Notable residents of Varanasi
- Trailanga Swamy, Great Spiritual Leader
- Sir James Brooke, founder of the White Rajah dynasty of Sarawak
- Premchand, famous Hindi writer
- Madan Mohan Malaviya, Founder of the Banaras Hindu University
- Lal Bahadur Shastri, Former Prime Minister of India, Bharat Ratna
- Bismillah Khan, Shehnai player, Bharat Ratna
- Channulal Mishra, Hindustani Classical player, Padma Bhushan
- Kishan Maharaj, Tabla player, Padma Vibhushan
- Ravi Shankar, Sitar player, Bharat Ratna
- Siddheshwari Devi, Khayal singer, Padma Shri
- Vikash Maharaj, Sarod Maestro
- Naina Devi, Khayal singer
- Bhagwan Das, Bharat Ratna
- Sameer, Lyricist
- Pandit Birju Maharaj
- Girija Devi, Padma Bhushan
- Ritwik Sanyal, Dhrupad
- Sitara Devi, Padma Shri
- Rai Krishnadasa., Padma Vibhushan
- Gopinath Kaviraj, Padma Vibhushan
- K.L. Shrimali, Padma Vibhushan
- Uday Shankar, Padma Vibhushan
- Rani Lakshmibai
- Kabir Das
- Tulsi Das
- Bharatendu Harishchandra
- Shamta Prasad (Gudai Maharaj) Tabla player, Padma Shri
- Jaishankar Prasad
- Kashi Naresh, last king of Varanasi
- Devendra Nath Dwivedi, was an Indian politician and the Governor designate of Gujarat. He has been General Secretary of AICC, Additional Solicitor General of India & Supreme Court Lawyer. He was a Congress member of the Rajya Sabha from 1974 to 1980.
- Kamalapati Tripathi, was the writer, journalist, editor and freedom fighter was a senior Indian National Congress leader from Varanasi. He has been Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh as well as the Union Minister for Railways.
- Baldev Upadhyaya, was a renowned Hindi, Sanskrit scholar, literary historian, essayist and critic.Padma Bhushan
- Devaki Nandan Khatri was a writer, who belonged to the first generation of popular novelists in the modern Hindi language.
Temple of Markandeya Mahadev in Aundihar is another famous shrine of Bhagwan Shiv , which I visited with my wife , while on my way to Deoria .
Varanasi is not a remote place for me . It is in between Mumbai and Deoria . I can and will visit it as long as I am alive . But then being alive is the big , unknown and unanswered question . Who knows it is my last visit or not ? Who knows whether I would be able to visit it again or not ?
I started for Deoria with heavy heart . Though I do hope to visit Varanasi again in winters for Allahabad Kumbh mela . Lines of Agyeya come running in my mind :
पार्श्व गिरि का नम्र चीड़ों में , डगर चढ़ती उमंगों सी ;
MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA
- Wandering the Ghats of Varanasi (roadtoithaca.com)
- Wandering the Ghats of Varanasi II (of III) (roadtoithaca.com)
- Varanasi, A visit to the Ghats – Varanasi, India (travelpod.com)
- purity and danger (telegraphindia.com)
- Life and Death (zephyrani.wordpress.com)
- Along the Ghats, Varanasi, India (milestotravel.wordpress.com)
- Itty-Bitty Travel Guide: Varanasi (amandaclaire.me)
- Notes on the India Series (allibander.wordpress.com)
- A boat ride, Varanasi, India (milestotravel.wordpress.com)
- India in a blog post (dougwallack.wordpress.com)
Filed under: Travel Diaries Tagged: | Acting Trainer, Adi Shankaracharya, Aghor Panth, Agyeya, Ahilyabai Holkar, Aurangzeb, Avantika, Ayodhya, Baldev Upadhyaya, Banaras, Banaras Hindu University, Benaras, Bhagwan Das, Bhagwan Ram, Bhagwan Shankar, Bhagwan Shiva, Bharatendu Harishchandra, Bhojpuri language, Bismillah Khan, Dashashwamedha Ghat, Deoria, Devaki Nandan Khatri, Diction Trainer, Dwarka, Ganga Aarti, Ganges, Girija Devi, Godaulia, Gopinath Kaviraj, Gudai Maharaj, Gyanvapi Mosque, Hanuman Mandir Varanasi, Haridwar, Harishchandra Ghat, Hindi Teacher, Hindu, India, Jaishankar Prasad, James Brooke, Jyotirlinga, Kabir Das, Kamal Nayan Chaturvedi, Kamalapati Tripathi, Kanchi, Kashi, Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Kasi, Kedar Ghat, Kishan Maharaj, Kumbh Mela, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, Lucknow, Madan Mohan Malaviya, Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Maharaja Savai Jai Singh II, Maharani Lakshmi Bai, Markandeya Mahadev Aundihar, Mathura, Maya, Mumbai, MUMBAI - MAHARASHTRA - INDIA, Pandit Birju Maharaj, Premchand, Rai Krishna Dasa, Raja Harishchandra, Ravi Shankar, Rigveda, Sankat Mochan Temple Varanasi, Sant Keena Ram, Sant Ravi Das, Sant Tulsi Das, Satyavaadi Raja Harishchandra, Siddheshwari Devi, Sitara Devi, Tailang Swami, Travel Diary, Travelogue, Uday Shankar, Ujjain, Uttar Pradesh, Varanasi, Vidur, Vidur Chaturvedi, Vidur on Twitter, Vidur's Blog, Vidur's Travel Diary, Vishwanath Temple