MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA MAY 06, 2015 01.05 A.M.
I used to respect Arun Shourie a lot. As a journalist he was a crusader. He unearthed many scams during Indira Gandhi regime. But being an able journalist is another thing and being an administrator is totally different.
I was perplexed when Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee inducted him in his ministry as Dis-investment Minister. When a party wins an election and forms government, it is assumed that many loyal, old and dedicated workers will be rewarded. Therefore when a rank outsider like Arun Shourie was given a post in the Vajpayee government, it was baffling and a bit disturbing.
My fears were proven right when I read about Arun Shourie’s latest interview. What he said to Karan Thapar, was not a critique of NDA 2. It was his frustration of not getting birth in Narendra Modi government. I am not privy to many things but I can answer his charges point by point.
Let me clarify that he is not a BJP ideologue as claimed by many journalists. He was a rank outsider, chosen by Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee to serve the government. It is a common norm in USA. But This is India. Here people care for their own benefit, their own power and their own well-being. So induction of this rank opportunist in the Vajpayee cabinet was a mistake.
Let us have a look at the charges of Shourie. My answer is given in blue along with every point :
Shourie slams Narendra Modi: 10 things he said
In an exclusive interview with Headlines Today’s Karan Thapar on the first anniversary of BJP-led NDA government on Friday, Arun Shourie, one of the most influential BJP ideologues during the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, criticised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for poor handling of the Indian economy and turning a blind eye to the attacks on minorities by the right-wing groups. SEE FULL VIDEO
Here are the 10 things that Arun Shourie said about Modi government in the interview: Full text of Arun Shourie’s interview
1) The government lacks clear thinking. The government has good ideas but poor in implementation. There is a big gap between perception and promise, and projection and performance. The government must become low profile.
My Answer : Modi government has “good ideas” and it lacks “clear thinking”. How both things are possible at the same time? Modi government is going to complete 1 year in this month. How on earth anyone can “implement” all the promises in 1 year. Shourie wants the government to perform and yet want it to become “low profile”.
2) Modi’s economic policy is directionless. There is no big picture in economy policy. Modi’s focus on the economy is like a CM. He should focus more on policy instead of projects.
My Answer : Shourie wants Modi to become “low profile” and yet wants to see “big picture” regarding the economy. Economic policies are not going to deliver results in just 1 year.
3) Modi’s foreign policy is a success but India has to follow-up on the MoUs. Modi needs to execute policies quickly. China is a principal challenge for India. India’s foreign policy is getting reoriented. Modi has to move much faster. Nobody is waiting for us. The US is already feeling impatient. Keeping Sushma Swaraj on the margins is wrong.
My Answer : Shourie praises Narendra Modi for successful foreign policy and yet alleges that MEA Sushma Swaraj ji is marginalised. How can any foreign policy be successful without MEA?
4) Lack of clarity in government on Pakistan. Need a steadier gaze towards Pakistan.
My Answer : What a logic Shourie! Foreign policy of India is successful, yet no clarity on Pakistan. Only a biased person , who is claiming as an intellectual can give this kind of brilliant(?) logic.
5) Investment has not picked up. The government can’t ignore India inc warnings. The government needs to wake up. Investors still have hope but the industrial sector is waiting for concrete moves. The growth claims are only to make headlines and the government only wants to manage headlines.
My Answer : Again a brilliant (?) logic! “Investors still have hope But…….growth claims are only to make headlines”. He conveniently forgets what Ratan Tata said about the government.
6) Uncertainty exists over tax regime. Tax regime is confused. The government is alienating the investors. It is backtracking on tax decisions.
My Answer : GST legislation is about to be passed. Consensus achieved in 12 months, which alluded us for 12 long years.Various other reforms are about to happen. What else can you desire in 1 year?
7) India needs labour reforms. There was no need for land bill controversy. Ordinances were ill-advised. They led to disruptions. BJP supported the previous Land Bill. Allies were not taken into confidence. Modi must embrace the opposition. No reform can take place without the oppositions’ support. The opposition is ganging up against Modi and the BJP is frightening others.
My Answer : Shourie seems to be delusional. He alleges, “Ordinances were ill-advised. They led to disruptions.” But he forgets that Ordinance was promulgated because there were disruptions. Shourie wants to twist the happenings of the Rajya Sabha.
8) Vacancies in critical posts are worrying. Don’t know why the posts are not filled. Vital institutions are suffering. Institutions are being starved to death. Institutions are being devalued.
My Answer : There is a thing in governance which is called and is known as PREROGATIVE. It is government’s prerogative to fill the posts. It is none of Shourie’s business.
9) The government must respond to minority fears. Govt has failed on assuring minorities. No response to concern of minorities. Alienating minorities is dangerous. The Christians are rightfully upset. PM should speak out often. Modi must speak on critical issues. Modi silent on moral questions.
My Answer : During elections Narendra Modi said and still says ” SABKA SAATH, SABKA VIKAS ” . All the act of attacks on Christians have turned out to be petty crimes by criminals. I don’t need to give details. Shourie must be knowing them. If he doesn’t know , then he is ignorant and shouldn’t be taken seriously. As for Muslims are concerned, there were few unwarranted utterances by fringe elements, which were duly condemned by the BJP.
10) The monogrammed suit was inexplicable, a critical mistake. Don’t understand why he wore it.
My Answer : The last point clarifies the dishonesty of Shourie. First of all , it was a gift. Narendra Modi wore it for just one day. It was subsequently auctioned and the amount was deposited in the treasury. It is old practise of the Prime Minister. He auctions all the gift he gets and the proceeds are deposited in the government treasury and is later on used for some charitable purposes. It is a settled case. But Shourie rakes it up again. It clears that his intention is not to give a critique, but he dishes out his venom because he fails to find a place in the union cabinet.
Along with all the students & staff of VIDUR Acting Institute , VIDUR Editing Studio , VIDUR Club and VIDUR Merchandise, I denounce this dishonest journalist turned intellectual called Arun Shourie. People like him are dangerous. They work on an agenda and give it a different colour to hoodwink gullible public. But if he can denounce Babasaheb Ambedkar, then Narendra Modi is an easy target.
Shourie should be denounced with all the possible way and people like him should never find any place either in the party or in the government.
[ I have taken the excerpts of Shourie’s interview from the website of India Today. I express gratitude. ]
MUMBAI – MAHARASHTRA – INDIA
Filed under: Denunciation Tagged: | 1 Year Of Narendra Modi, Acting Institute, Acting Trainer, Arun Shourie, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Babasaheb Ambedkar, China, Diction Trainer, Disinvestment Minister, Foreign Policy of Narendra Modi, GST, GST Act, Headlines Today, Hindi Teacher, India, India INC, India Today, Indian Foreign Policy, Indira Gandhi, Kamal Nayan Chaturvedi, Karan Thapar, Maharashtra, MEA, Monogrammed Suit of Modi, Mumbai, MUMBAI - MAHARASHTRA - INDIA, Narendra Modi, Pakistan, Politics, Ratan Tata, Suit of Narendra Modi, Sushma Swaraj, Vidur, VIDUR Acting Institute, Vidur Chaturvedi, VIDUR Club, VIDUR Editing Studio, VIDUR Merchandise, Vidur on Twitter, Vidur's Blog, Worshipping False God